Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Phantom Cries

During our time in the NICU we would hear babies crying often. Not just the babies in our POD but any of the 25 to 30 babies in care there. You got used to it as background noise. We would work hard to keep G quiet as much as we could, just to keep him from adding to the noise there, and help the other babies stay calm.

Well we’ve been home from the NICU for almost 4 months now, and I still hear babies crying the way we did in the NICU. We have phantom cries here all the time. I will be in the shower with G sleeping peacefully when I go in, and all of the sudden I’ll hear a baby whailing, pop my head out of the shower, and stare at the monitor to see that it’s still dim, and G is sleeping peacefully. I also hear them after I’ve put Gray back down after his 4am feeding. He’s sleeping peacefully but I can swear I hear a baby crying. And it’s not just me. Brian will wake up in the middle of the night and go to G’s room to find him sleeping like an angel.

I’m not sure how long this will last, we thought it would be gone by now but it’s not. I often wonder if the NICU nurses have the same issue when they go home. Who knows. Any other NICU moms have this going on too?

G is sleeping peacefully now for the afternoon – moving to a 4 hour feeding schedule at least in the afternoons now. So I’m going to get some work done around the house while he’s sleeping. I’m happy to have a bit of productive time now.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Click To Vote For Us @ the Top Baby Blogs Directory! The most popular baby blogs

No comments:

Post a Comment