Sunday, May 08, 2011

Disappointment

Today is Mother’s Day, my first one. It’s also babE Gray’s dedication at church. I’ve been looking forward to this day for years. Not just my first mother’s day but our child’s dedication at church. Almost 27 years ago, I was dedicated at our church, the first baby dedicated at our church just after it was founded. It’s my little claim to fame, but also a huge honour that they have kept the tradition. So today, for me at least, our church has come a full generation. The first baby dedicated is having her baby dedicated. Since we knew babE was on board we have been talking about this, and looking forward to it. 
So where does disappointment come in? Today is a day when we get to live out my family tradition, and today my dad is sitting in a hospital bed not able to come and watch. We have no idea how long my dad will be with us, and if he’ll be here to see Gray’s graduation from high school or university, or see him get married or have his own children. So today was the one thing that we knew he would be around for, to witness and take part in. So when my mom told me yesterday that my dad would still be in the hospital I was very disappointed. I know what really matters is that he continues to get healthy. It’s just a bit hard when I wonder if this is the only thing he might have been able to be present at.
We’re going to have a friend record the dedication and go and watch it with my dad later this week. I’m glad that we have the technology to be able to do that.
Well off to church we go. 

Happy Mother’s Day to all my blogging mommies, and all my readers. We appreciate the work you’re doing in your child’s life.

No comments:

Post a Comment