Wednesday, April 27, 2011

A New Adventure

So today we started a new adventure.

Cloth Diapers! 

We had decided long ago that cloth diapers were in our future, we just had to decide if we were going to do our own or use a local service. So after going through the numbers and comparing the work and financial aspect we decided that we could wash our own and save a bit more cash in the long run after having a few kids through diapers. 

The research started and we decided what brand we wanted to go with and registered for them at our local cloth diaper store. And as a surprise just before Christmas my sister showed up with a whole set of diapers for us. She had purchased the entire set of the smallest diapers we had registered for, including liners and covers. She’s such a blessing!
Well Gray arrived 2 months early and about 5lbs smaller than we anticipated, and 5lbs too small to use the diapers that were so graciously bought for us. So for the last 12 weeks we have be using disposable diapers. I’m not 100% against disposable diapers. They do have their place, like when we go to Mexico we’ll use disposables for the week, or up at the island where we don’t have access to our washer and dryer. But I prefer not to have so much waste especially the kind of waste produced by disposable diapers. I have had quite a few people comment that I’m ‘granola’ or crazy for wanting to do cloth, but I made a commitment to start my son’s life with the smallest carbon footprint that I could.

So since he’s way way way too small for the cloth diapers that we have, I decided to keep looking to see if there were some cloth diapers that were smaller. And I found them! Last night I went out and looked at some preemie/newborn diapers and they’re perfect. Gray is still wearing the newborn pampers and the tabs on them touch in the middle! He’s a very skinny boy. The investment we had made in disposable diapers in the last 6 weeks since we’ve been home from the hospital is less than the cost of the cloth diapers that will fit him now. I can only imagine how much more I would be spending on disposable diapers before he fits into the cloth diapers we already have when they’re bigger that the newborn disposables if the tabs aren’t touching. 

So here we are – all our goodies for cloth diapers. I still have to get some more covers; some of the ones we got didn’t fair to well in the dryer due to a flaw in the production. So we’re off to get some new ones tomorrow. 

cloth diapers1

And here is Mr. Bean in his first cloth diaper. He looks oh so cute! And way skinny in this photo.

cloth diaper2

No comments:

Post a Comment