Sunday, January 29, 2012

On the wonderful marvelous night you were born


Tonight Brian and I put Grayson down for the last time as a baby. My little man turns one tomorrow.

This past year has been an absolute whirlwind. It’s so hard to imagine that it’s been a year since I first heard him cry and held him in my arms.

We read Grayson our favourite story tonight before bed. A book given to us by one of our dear friends that puts everything we feel about Grayson into words.

The last verse is the part that I love the most.

So whenever you doubt just how special you are

Or you wonder who loves you, how much and how far

Listen for geese honking high in the sky

(they’re singing a song to remember you by.0



Or notice the bears asleep at the zoo

(it’s because they’ve been dancing all night for you!)



Or drift off to sleep to the sound of the wind.

(listen closely.. it’s whispering your name again!)



If the moon stays up until morning one day,

Or a ladybug lands and decides to stay,

Or a little bird sits at your window a while,

It’s because they’re all hoping to see you smile…



For never before in story or rhyme

(not even once upon a time)

Has the world ever know a you, my friend

And it never will, not ever again…



Heaven blew every trumpet

And played every horn

On the wonderful marvelous

Night you were born.

                From On the night you were born by Nancy Tillman

One year ago I was waiting to meet my son. The church next to my labour room had a gold trumpeter on top of its spire. I knew that everything would be alright, for God had sent an angel to look over us even in those moments. Every time I needed strength to get through the next moment I would find myself looking at that trumpeter.

Tonight I’ll wake up at 3:46 and go hold my son as he turns one. Probably shed a tear or two. And I’ll be so thankful that we’ve made it through the last year and we’re looking into the next one.

Grayson,

This last year has been the best of my life. I’m so honoured to be your mom and get to spend every day with you.



I love you so much.


Image and video hosting by TinyPic 


Click To Vote For Us @ the Top Baby Blogs Directory! The most popular baby blogs Vote for me @ Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory

3 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday, Grayson! Have you ever watched Gilmore Girls? The mom, Lorelai, climbs into her daughter's bed in the middle of the night at the hour she was born to wish her a happy birthday every single year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy first birthday Grayson!!
    That book really is so nice. We don't own it but we borrow it from the library all the time. This post was so nice. :') Enjoy your sweet one year old. This will be an exciting year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday Greyson!!!! From the Ashby Family!!!!!

    ReplyDelete